Bones for Life and Walk for Life
Immersion or Teacher Training – Live in Cincinnati
We invite you to join us in this transformative training. Cynthia Allen and Brian Shircliff have each been dramatically changed through this work and have witnessed incredible unfolding and growth for so many others.
Deepen your inner knowing, become an expert on your own body, move with elegance, respect yourself, and navigate with power. Move the way nature intended.
Bones for Life Phase I and II
This program consists of 90 fast-acting exercise processes. The safe, weight-bearing movements challenge bones to be strong and sturdy while improving balance and coordination. Created by Ruthy Alon, a somatic pioneer and student of Moshe Feldenkrais, the work masterfully blends function, learning and skeletal alignment.
Inspired by load bearing, African women who do an incredibly difficult job with grace and efficiency, you will learn to stand and walk by using gravity the way it was meant to be used. This approach promotes neuroplasticity and posture and balance from the inside out.
Walk for Life – Phase III
We all know that walking is nature’s best medicine. Nothing new here. What we may not know is that to get quality medicine, we need quality walking. The Walk for Life program uses trekking poles and somatic exercises to train upright posture, upper back health, core stability and pleasure in walking.
Location: Future Life Now, 4138 Hamilton Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45223.
Phase I: Basic Certification consists of the 90 processes (exercises) commonly known as Segments 1, 2 and 3. In Phase I we will teach in a comprehensive way allowing you to learn the first 60 processes well.
WORKSHOP DATES: May 17 – 19, 2019, June 28 – 30, 2019, August 16-18
Hours: Fri 10-6:30 p.m.; Sat and Sun 9-5:30 p.m.
Upon completion of all three segments, taught in these three weekends, you will have reached basic certification. Each weekend builds on the prior one, to cultivate a deeper and more thorough knowledge of the learning objectives below and more. Many people take the entire Basic Certification to perform, move and age more healthily. This is an experiential program. You will be moving and learning specific exercises or processes to use at home. To become a teacher, you need to complete Phase II.
While Movement Intelligence has applications for all aspects of the population, seniors can benefit immensely from this work. Here are some seniors talking about their experience.
Phase II: Teacher Certification includes the required Advanced Study of Bones for Life processes, Didactic, Mentoring and Student Teaching.
WORKSHOP DATES: October 11 – 13, 2019, December 13 – 15, 2019, February 14 – 16, 2020 Final 2020 workshop dates to be determined
Hours: Fri-Sun 9-5:30 p.m.
Homework, student teaching and team work between segments will be required. Lodging recommendations/assistance will also be made upon registration.
Continuing Education Units: CEUs will be available from Ohio Physical and Occupational Therapy Associations, NCBMTB, and Feldenkrais Guild of North America.
Bones for Life Phase I
Bones for Life Phase II
$3300 (Save $200)
Complete details on what is included in the fee and any potential additional costs will be listed on the registration page.
Location: Future Life Now, 791 E McMillan St, Cincinnati, OH 45206.
“Bones for Life® provides a sound theoretical framework and a
progressive set of activities that enhances patients’ functional performance. On a personal level, BFL has allowed me to undo my pain patterns and improve my posture.”Shereen D. Farber, PhD, OTR, FAOTA
- Perform movement processes that alter and enhance the organization of the rib cage and thoracic spine.
- Discover how creeping and crawling improve core strength for standing.
- Articulate the dynamic relationship between the 3 spinal curves and the extremities.
- Gain a felt sense of optimal relationships not only between body parts, but also between self and environment.
- Teach others to get up and down from the floor, chair and bed efficiently and with ease.
- Gain expertise in providing appropriate and progressive levels of challenge in a functional situation without overwhelming the system.
- Effectively coach the release of unnecessary neuromuscular holding patterns.
- Use vibratory “press and release” motions against everyday surfaces in multiple planes to enhance proprioception and joint alignment.
- Understand tenets of the Bones for Life® and Walk for Life programs and discuss how they directly relate to the services of those individuals working in helping fields, specifically in the areas of education, professional competence, and self-care.
- Comprehend the value of using Bones for Life® processes to optimize and fine tune the capacity for weight bearing with ideal alignment of trunk and upper and lower extremities when exercising and completing activities of daily living.
- Realize the value of “trial and error” learning in expanding strength and function while decreasing pain and injury.
- Optimize balanced neuromuscular action throughout the whole body by activating underused areas and allowing dominant groups to find a place of rest and ease.
- Access the human evolutionary potential in all aspects of body, mind, and spirit through Bones for Life® processes which promote core reorganization.
Jeanne Hill, Physical Therapist discusses the impact Movement Intelligence
has had on her practice
Cynthia Allen is one of the most experienced Bones for Life trainers in the United States. She has been working in holistic practices, health care management and organizational consulting for over 25 years. She is a Certified Feldenkrais® practitioner, Senior Trainer in Movement Intelligence and Certified Bones for Life® Teacher/Trainer. Cynthia is also co-creator of Integral Human Gait theory.
In addition to teaching weekly classes and seeing clients individually, Cynthia trains and certifies Movement Intelligence teachers around the country and teaches Gait for Wild Human Potential workshops as well as other continuing education opportunities. She has a keen interest in reducing chronic pain and increasing pleasure through awareness and movement.
Brian pioneered teaching a meditation elective and bringing meditation to the two sports he coaches while a teacher at St. Xavier High School (1997-2003). With many friends, Brian founded VITALITY Cincinnati in 2010 to share holistic self-care education.
In addition to being a Bones for Life Teacher, he has been a tai chi practitioner/teacher since 1997, yoga teacher (registered through Yoga Alliance as an E-RYT500), Healing Touch Certified Practitioner, and recently a student of the Feldenkrais Method (certification expected 2019).
“I greatly appreciate the opportunity to learn with Cynthia. Her clarity and comfort in teaching is amazing. The work and passion she has put into this process shines through. Ruthy Alon’s work is truly remarkable.”Suzanne Mowry, PT, GCFP
“Cynthia is a consummate professional with a sense of humor.
She has a thought-provoking answer to every question, and brings a real diversity of elements to the learning
process. Her students are free to contribute ideas, questions and perspectives, creating a lively and
rich environment where laughter, play, discussion and movement coexist.”Meriah Kruse, BA, LMT, GCFP
I honestly can’t believe that those things Brian has us do from Movement Intelligence bring major relief to my neck…though they do every time!Student